Monday, February 19, 2007

President's Day

With all of the political and governmental problems that we seem to have an abundance of lately, it is easy to become discouraged and disgruntled with our government. I tend to be a finger pointer and think that if they would just do "this or that" than everything would be better! I was doing a little research on WallBuilders.com recently and realized a great truth--it isn't "them" but "me" that I should be focusing on. I have just as much of a duty and responsibility toward promoting the moral excellence of our nation as our president does. I know that I have not prayed as diligently for our leaders as I should have and I have not been as involved as I know I could be. Here are a few quotes from the Father of our nation, General George Washington that helped put things into perspective for me:
*
[T]he [federal] government . . . can never be in danger of degenerating into a monarchy, and oligarchy, an aristocracy, or any other despotic or oppressive form so long as there shall remain any virtue in the body of the people.
~George Washington, February 7, 1788~
*
*
"The General hopes and trusts that every officer and man will endeavor to live and act as becomes a Christian soldier defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country."
~George Washington, July 9, 1776~
*
"Deeds, not Words"
*
"For God and my Country."
(George Washington's Mottos)

No comments: